Edinburgh is a fascinating destination for tourists. It has a rich history, with numerous historic buildings, castles, palaces and churches. The most frequented among these are Edinburgh Castle, the churches of St. Giles and Canongate. If you are visiting the Edinburgh during one of the festivals held in town, you are about to witness the ‘Largest Annual Cultural Festival in the World.’ Actually there are several festivals that are usually held each year during August and are collectively referred to as the Edinburgh Festival. So, during summer, Edinburgh –becomes ‘A City Of Festivals.’
Given the huge popularity of these festivals, the city sees a large turnout of revellers. Therefore, it is a good idea to book yourself into a hotel near Edinburgh Airport, like Piries Hotel which offers you a very comfortable stay with all the modern amenities despite being a cheap & budget hotel in Edinburgh. A comfortable stay is so important when you are on vacation.
5 Famous Festivals of Edinburgh
Since the summers are marked by festivity at Edinburgh, make sure you plan well in advance because this is the time that tourists flock here. Here’s a look at the most popular festivals:
- The Edinburgh International Festival: Dating back to1947, this is the main festival from which the other festivals originated. This festival is a perfect blend of fine opera, a mix of traditional and contemporary music, arts and exceptional theatre performances. It offers three weeks of complete exhilaration and fulfilment.
- The Edinburgh Festival Fringe: This is also a three week long festival. It is prominent as ‘The Largest Arts Festival in the World.’ It features world class performing arts, with a special emphasis on humour and contemporary thinking. There is a music festival that takes place simultaneously, known as the Edge Festival.
- The Edinburgh Military Tattoo: It is a majestic sight to watch military tattoos performed by the British Armed Forces and other international military bands on the esplanade of the famous Edinburgh castle.
- The Edinburgh International Film Festival: For all movie buffs, this festival is a real treat. The main venues for this festival are the Edinburgh Filmhouse, Fountainpark Cineworld, Dominion Cinema and Edinburgh Festival Theatre.
- The Edinburgh Mela: This is all about world music and international dance forms. It is a carnival of tint, tempo, society festivities and scrumptious food. This festival has alot in store, right from soulful Qawaalis and up-beat Ghanian drumming to a World dance fest, global food village, fashion show and much more.
Just plan in advance and everything else will fall in place. Here is a quick reminder of what needs to be done. Book a hotel near Edinburgh airport or a cheap & budget hotel in Edinburgh near Edinburgh Train Station, at least 6 month in advance. Make sure that you stay somewhere that is well connected by public transport to other places of interest, such as EICC in Edinburgh, Edinburgh city centre, Murray field Stadium in Edinburgh, Haymarket train station in Edinburgh and Edinburgh Zoo.